Why would anyone want to take a herb whose name means “the smell of a horse”? The best reason I can think of is to gain the power of a horse. And judging from the research into this powerful adaptogen, that just might happen!
Ashwagandha contains so many healing compounds; its health benefits are astounding! There have been over 200 studies into its benefits, and reading them left me wondering what this plant cannot do.
Here are just nine benefits:
1. As an adaptogen. it’s very good at helping the body deal with stress and anxiety.
2. For anyone with an underactive thyroid, it may help thyroid hormones to function better.
3. It improves sleep – both the time it takes to get to sleep and the quality of sleep.
4. It has been shown to improve memory and protect the brain, especially in neurodegenerative disorders.
5. As the name suggests, it’s been used to help build strength and stamina.
6. It boosts the immune system.
7. It helps in controlling inflammation, especially in arthritis.
8. Trouble under the sheets? Ashwagandha improves both male and female sexual health.
9. As a powerful antioxidant, it’s believed to have anti-cancer benefits.
If you want to learn more, we’ve written a detailed blog post for Alma Herbs on this amazing herb. Ashwagandha can be taken in capsule, powder and tincture form. Remember to always consult your medical practitioner before using herbs for medicinal purposes.